RUIDOSO SPRINT TRIATHLON and YOUTH SPLASH & DASH
Saturday, June 8th, 2013 @ 8:00 AM
Proceeds from the Ruidoso Sprint & Youth Splash/Dash will benefit local non profit
organizations.(Benefactors in 2012: Ecoservants; Ruidoso Noon Lions; Ski Apache Adaptive Skier Program; Boy Scout Troop #59). We are proud to be included in the Southwest Challenge Series-a duathlon & triathlon championship series in NM & West Texas. CCR timing of Colorado Springs will provide chip timing. Both events will be USAT sanctioned.
RUN (3.8M mixed paved/trail) BIKE (16.8M paved) SWIM (400Y indoor pool)
YOUTH SPLASH & DASH Ages 6 to 12
$10 fee is required by the USAT for insurance.
10:00 AM Pre-Race Meeting: Course Preview, Question & Answer Session, Transition Set-up and Warm-up.
Items to Bring: Sunscreen, googles, cap, towel, running shoes, socks, visor or hat.
A parent will be required to sign a waiver & bring photo ID at registration.
Start at 10.45 am (tentative schedule).
Swim: Ruidoso Athletic Club pool; Run inside Wingfield Park.
Awards at the discretion of Splash & Dash race director.
6-8: Swim 100Y Run 1K (2 laps)
9-10: Swim 200Y Run 1.5K (3 laps)
11-12:Swim 300Y Run 2K (4 laps)
(Sarah Crewe:312.286.1439 or firstname.lastname@example.org).
Ruidoso is located in the Sacramento Mountains in SE New Mexico. The average altitude is 7000 feet & the weather can be unpredictable. This is a challenging course that will get your heart pumping but you’ll get a great feeling of accomplishment when you cross the finish line. First time visitors are usually pleasantly surprised by the natural beauty of our community. Please enjoy yourself & tell your triathlete friends to visit us. Mark your calendar for the cycling event of SE New Mexico the Tour de Ruidoso on September 28, 2013. Followed by the running event the Ski Run Road Challenge 12M & 3M Runs on July 13, 2013.
*Sprint Run: http://www.strava.com/runs/36945706
*Sprint Bike: http://www.strava.com/runs/36970078
Registration limited to 200 entries, deadline is 6/5/2013 at 5pm. NO EXCEPTIONS
- Walk in: Ruidoso Athletic Club, 415 Wingfield Street, Ruidoso. Payment: cash or check only. (575.257.4900)
- By mail: Print a registration form at bicycleruidoso.com. Payment by check only. Make
payment to Bicycle Ruidoso.
- On line: Active.com with credit card only.
NO RACE DAY REGISTRATION
All Athletes are required to show photo ID including relay participants. NO ID = NO RACE. NO EXCEPTIONS. Youth athletes without an ID must be accompanied by a participant/guardian with a photo ID. The Triathlon will be held rain or shine. We make every effort to have short sleeve tech shirts for every participant. NO REFUNDS. NO RETURNS.
Host hotel is the newly named Ruidoso Mountain Inn, 400 W. Hwy 70 (575-257-3736). Mention “The Ruidoso Sprint Triathlon or Youth Splash & Dash” for special rate.
Visit the Ruidoso Valley Chamber of Commerce for more lodging (www.ruidosonow.com or www.discoveruidoso.com) or call 877-784-3676.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Friday, June 7, 2013 from 6 p.m. to 8.30 p.m. : Race packets will be available including
USAT Triathlon license check at the Ruidoso Athletic Club, 415 Wingfield St, Ruidoso (575-257-4900). Bring USAT License, photo ID, sign waiver.Saturday, June 8, 2013 from 6.30 a.m. to 7:15 a.m.: Wingfield Park tent. (West of Ruidoso Athletic Club). Late packet pick up. Bring USAT license, photo ID, sign waiver. Body marking.
Bike corral opens.
- 7:20 am: Race briefing
- 7:45 am: Transition/Bike corral closes.
- 8:00 am: Race starts Male & Clydesdale wave
- 8:10 am: Female & Athena wave
- 8:20 am: Relays Male, Female & Co-ed
- 10:45am: Youth Splash & Dash starts (tentative schedule)
- 11:00 am: Transition/Bike corral closes.
- 12:15 pm: Post race party award ceremony.
Top three Male & Female Solo: Ruidoso Carved Bears (12" high).
Top Relay Male, Female & Co-ed (each member 2 or 3/team): Ruidoso Carved Bears (12'’ high).
Athena/Clydesdale, Age groups winners (Male & Female) - 2 Deep: Ruidoso Carved Bears (smaller but cute!!)
RUN (3.8M mixed paved & trail) Red/orange marking & tape
- Follow a paved road to Grindstone Lake, right at the “Y”, turn left at the first aid station (just under 1M from the start). Run around the lake clockwise, tun left after
exiting the lake, take a left uphill & a quick right on a dirt road (Santa Maria Drive).
Follow red arrow on the road. Arrive at Wingfield Park on the west side.
- No headphones.
- For your safety, race numbers must be worn on the front & visible at all times.
BIKE (16.8M paved road ) Blue marking on road & additional safety sign
- Same direction as the run for ½ mile. Go left at the Y. At a stop sign turn right on Carrizo
Canyon Road toward the Inn of Mountain Gods Resort & Casino. Proceed on Carrizo Canyon Road until you reach Hwy 70. Use extreme caution, ride on the right for a mile, using the shoulder for safety, turn right on Botella Road. Then you will take a right at the stop sign to White Mountain Drive, you will travel East until you reach the Y at the Hunting Lodge. Turn left & you will be using Road 4(Carrizo Canyon Rd) back to the transition area.
- Reduce speed when descending the road to the bike corral. Stop & dismount before crossing timing mat. Rack your bike before running to the pool.
- Motor vehicle traffic will be limited on course to residents & emergency vehicles. No personal support vehicles.
- There will be no road closures.
- For your safety & the security of your equipment, athletes only in the bike corral.
- CPSC approved helmets must be securely fastened & worn at all time on the bicycle.
- Cyclists are responsible for the safe maintenance and operation of their bicycle.
- No drafting off another bicycle or motor vehicle. You should overtake and pass within 15
- Stay right, except to pass. Crossing the center of road is a disqualification.
SWIM (400Y indoor pool) Follow the carpet after crossing a timing mat to the pool on the east side of the transition/bike corral.
- The pool consist of four 8ft wide lanes, 25 yards long so you will swim 16 lengths.
- After entering the building by the door marked IN, you will enter the water directly at the
opposite side. “ Snake” your way during the swim to exit the pool and re-enter the water for 200 more yards. A volunteer will mark you.
- Exit the pool by the door marked OUT, and cross the finish line. Remove timing chip
- No swimming aides (paddles, fins, wet suits), no walking on the bottom of the pool.
JUNE 5, 2013. 5p.m
Frederic Moras Sprint race director
Sarah Crewe Youth Splash & Dash race director
USAT Youth & Junior coach
USAT level 1 & level 2 coach